Monday, October 21, 2013

Oct. 21, 2013

Hello, my family!

Transfers came, and transfers went, which is expected every six weeks. My companion is leaving (sad face) and I'm  staying. I'm happy to stay though. The other companionship is staying the same. I don't know who my companion is yet, but I'm psyched to meet her. Man..these last six weeks have gone by way too fast. 

One of the elders in my zone lended me a book by Elder Bednar called Act in Doctrine. It's not very long. I've read it a few times within the last week and I really liked it. The basic subject of this email is just me going to cite the whole thing, haha. 

There´s one story that he shares which talks about him as a stake president. He and a bishop would go to people who were lessactive and share with them, then ask them why they weren´t going to church. Ninety- percent of the time the people would say that they were once offended, and didn't want to return. After, Elder Bednar would say something to them that I thought was cool, ¨Because someone at church offended you, you have not been blessed by the ordinance of the sacrament. You have withdrawn yourself from the constant companion of the Holy Ghost. Because someone at church offended you, you have cut yourself from the priesthood ordinances and the holy temple. You have discontinued your opportunity to serve others and to learn and to grow. And you are leaving barriers that will impede the spiritual progress of your children, your children´s children, and the gernations that will follow."  I've never though of it like that. I've never fully understood how longterm inactivity can affect you and others..it just starts off small and works it way up. 

He also told another story about a conference that the Quorum of the twelve had. President Packer was taking questions and someone asked him, ¨President Packer, will you please teach us about the Atonement of Jesus Christ?¨ 

His answer was, ¨Thanks for that excellent questions. Read the Book of Mormon as many times as you can in the next several months. When you are finished reading, write a one page summary of what you learned about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Next question.¨ 

Elder Bednar admits to being bummed at first because he was expecting a detailed doctrinal response. But Packer´s answer caused Bednar to think, pray, and most importantly, to act. Bednar then explains how Packer´s answer was an invitation. He did not teach what HE knew, rather, he taught how others can come to know. He had, as a teacher, invited others to find their own conversion and not be objects to be acted upon. 

We had interviews this week and they were GREAT. The President is such a good guy. He complimented my Spanish a lot which is always comforting. ¨Hermana Buhrley, your grammar is almost perfect.¨ and yayaya, Then he said ¨Your first interview, you didn't know any Spanish. You didn't say anything at all."

 I was thinking ¨Crap, Prez. Thought you forgot. Sorry that you remember that.¨ Haha, nah, his intentions were good. They always are. While we were waiting for interviews, his wife talked to us for three hours about how we aren´t supposed to fall in love, we need to drink more water, we need to help Latins learn English, we can't go on FB and we are forbidden to watch Avatar. Like, the cartoon, not the movie. 

I love this country soooo much. Sometimes I think a little too much, and it scares me, haha. The other day we were teaching a lesson, and we asked this girl if she knew what immorality meant. Her answer was ¨prostitution¨. I didn't know what to say because she was right, haha. Anyway. I guess I don't have anything else to say. I'm going to finish with a quote that Elder Bednar AND my President said this last week. "¨Be good, press forward, your confidence will wax strong in the presence of God, and you will get just enough from heaven to know that you're doing okay. And that will be enough.¨

You guys are GREAT!

Love,
Hermana Buhrley



No comments:

Post a Comment