Wednesday, April 2, 2014

March 24, 2014

HELLO family!
If you wish to view paradise, simply look around and view it (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)
The mission is NUTSO sometimes. But last night, in the evening, my companion and I walked along this long dirt road. (not dangerous, Dad) We ended up in this field where there were dogs running around, and a bunch of cows, and we just looked up at the beautiful sky for a moment. Even though we hadn't gone a ton, it reminded me so much of the farm. There were stars starting to appear, and the silence was so perfect. It was nice to relax a lil' bit. 

Okay, and can everyone stop with mentioning how much time in the mission I have? Makes my heart ache a lil'. 
We went to the temple on Tuesday. Super cool. Everything about it. I've missed it so much; I really have. Our jobs as missionaries is to work with people who are living, and share the gospel with them, but once we go home our job is to work with people who are dead. :) 

 We got a cool reference this week. An elder left a Book of Mormon in his store a few months ago, and he picked it up and has read the whole thing. He found missionaries and told them that..he has more questions. He told them that he didn't really understand it...like the people and how it came about.. but he definitely wants to know more. Super cool :) We're going over tomorrow to talk to him. HOLLA. 

The branch has a lot to work on, but we've definitely seen changes in the last few weeks. The work is ebbin' and flowin'. :) Yesterday the president of the district came to our branch, and talked with everyone about a problem that needed to be discussed. It was so sad to me: sitting in the back and watch everyone stand up and point fingers. All they did was talk about problems, and I didn't see any solutions. It was so hard watch the people I love put each other down, and I can't help but think about how ridiculous we look when we do that, and what Heavenly Father feels when we do that. And when did Christ EVER do that? He never belittled or pointed fingers or put people down. "Hey, you guys did this and this and this, and LOOK AT ME. I did this and this, and I don't think this is fair that I get to be here, and BLAHBLAHBLAH." And whenever there is a problem, he never sat and dwelled on it. He found a solution and went with it. 

This week I heard "Hell is filled with good intentions. Heaven is filled with good acts." TRUE.
What I love about this church is that you HAVE to find out for yourself! I have often wondered "Why do people here believe what they do? When they really look at their church's doctrine, it doesn't have any sense!" And that's WHY they believe what they do...is because they don't look any deeper than what their preacher tells them :) we have to act, and "not simply be acted upon". 

I know that repentance is not just stopping what we need to. Repentance is DOING what we need to do to recieve forgiveness from the Lord. 

You know you're a missionary in the DR when...
~you can't hear your investigator's prayer because their family is yelling out "thank you, Jesus"'s and amens
~You're able to distinguish different types of cockroaches
~when you write "the house next to the butcher shop that's almost the color of lime" in your area book, referring to the address
~when you eat chicken that you saw alive a half hour ago
~when seeing people bathe in a canal is normal
~5 people to one motorcycle
~when people try to sell their babies to you for money
~when 60 yr old men blow you kisses
~When you always hear the excuse "I had a headache" as to why they didn't go to church. ALWAYS
~"Are you going to church on Sunday?" "If God wants." 
~When you're happy to hear that one of your investigators can read, or is married by the law.
~when sitting underneath a mango tree is "too busy to listen to the word of god"
~everyone knows where you live
~you're constantly listening to music
~when going to Wendy's is a celebration
~sandwiches for lunch every Tuesday and Saturday
~Really good at J-walking
~When you're a pro at bucket-showering

Well, that's all I have, folks. Have a wonderful week, a'ight?

Hermana Buhrley

No comments:

Post a Comment