Wednesday, April 2, 2014

March 10, 2014

Hey family!
Oh, this week. This week was so crazy. But it was pretty good.... :) Kind of. This Dominican men are always cat-calling and my comp and I always joke around like they're trying to sell us something. It's like in Aladdin when Jasmine escapes the castle walls and she's walking in town and that one guy yells, "A pretty necklace for a pretty lady!" Then I yell "I am not a prize to be won!" (quote also from Aladdin) Or we say     
"Wanna buy a sundial?" #Hercules #so good

I had a lovely freak out. After personal study one day, I was like "Holy...crap. There is so much work to do." And my mind might have exploded for awhile. Haha. I just had the mindset, like..I have to reactive one trillion less actives, find and teach and baptize quite a few people that actually want to progress, memorize Preach My Gospel, know all the scriptures like the back of my hands, learn Spanish AND Dominican Spanish, figure out how to be a better teacher, and plan for the future but at the same time "live in the moment." Oh the mission. :) I just had to remind myself that things aren't going to be perfect anytime soon. I'm not going to be perfect anytime soon. But the two are working toward perfection small steps at a time :)

We fasted for 2 days this week (not in a row) to understand how we can help this area and that we would get our investigators to church. We worked ALL WEEK for them to get to church and we prayed and prayed and prayed, and on Sunday we spent 2 hours passing by all of their houses. Yeahhh we only got 1 person to church...hahahaha. (it's not funny) Working with agency is SO LAME sometimes! I'm telling ya. Then our DL gave us a lovely boche (short, strong lecture) about how we need to get investigators to church. We were pretty bummed. But I didn't talk back :) and God knows. So it's whatever. We tried. 
THEN. We had the weirdest lessons ALL WEEK LONG. We were like "Whaaaa? We fasted! COME ON." (arrested development reference) We met up with this guy, and he was like "Hey first of all, happy women's day!" 

And I was like "Uhhh...that's not a thing in the states.." 

"Sure it is! I'll look it up." We were all sitting outside on the sidewalk, and it was so loud and there were motorcycles everywhere. So while he's looking up women's rights on his phone, his brother comes up to me and is like "Hey what time is your church?"

"9 on Sundays."

"I'll go to your church if you go to mine."  (I sigh. Here we gooooo)

"No, I'm fine with my church, thank you."

Then he gets all up in my grill and is yelling at me, and pointing at me, and I just look around and I'm like "Uhhh. What do I do." And my comp just shruggs her shoulders, and I'm like "Shoot."

So this guy is yelling at me for, like 2 minutes, then he says "There's only one god! There's only one! One!" 

And I said "Then there's only one true church. We came to talk to your brother, not to fight with you, so you can leave." And then he just sat in the corner and pouted for the rest of the time. That definitely brought the Spirit! 

THEN. Our investigator tells us all about women's rights, and then asks "Hey. I don't get the Resurrection. What about the bones?...they're going to be all dust! Explain to me how there can be a resurrection when the bones are just dust!" 

"Explain to me miracles."

"I cant."

"Or how bodies were created."

"I cant."

"Do you believe God can do anything?"

"Of course. With all of my heart."

"Well?"

Then he left the room for a second, and was like "Well, I'm leaving. I have to go work with my cousin's friend in the capital." Then jumps in a car that just magically appeared and we just watch him drive off. It was great :) 

Kelvin is ready for his baptism on Wednesday, holla! He is SO GREAT. He deserves so many great things. He needs a mom and a dad and siblings and a Christ-centered home and an education because he has NONE of that. It just breaks my heart.

We had coconut juice this week. It was so disgusting. 

President on the mission called us the other day, and said "Hey I need you both to go find 3 less actives that used to be leaders in the church." So were like "A'ight Prez." and spent ALL DAY LONG looking for those less-active punks! We felt like we were in the latest video game franchise, "Sister Missionary:Quest for Souls." You know, where you show up on the screen as a little sister missionary and you just go off at a jogging trot; you just keep running and running, everywhere you go. And when you run into another person, you hold still and a word bubble pops up telling you what they're saying. 
"Oh, no. They don't live around here. Go find the such and such a street. (Press x to escape)"
And then you just keep running...running and running..and maybe you just have to stop for a second and find out where your going. Then you'll do an occasional scratch of the head or whip-out of the missionary planner to make you appear more life-like. Then sometimes your energy level goes down, so to reboot your energy you must eat some chocolate or grab yourself some more water. Then if you sometimes walk out of your area, you have to be careful not to run into the Elders, or you'll get a boche (lecture) and -500 points. 
Okay anyway, I'm going crazy. 

We didn't meet up with the first less-active because he moved 20 years ago, the second one didn't exist, and we searched for a good 3 hours for the last one. We just stopped in the middle of this one house and i yelled "I JUST WANNA TALK TO HIM." Then this guy walking down the street was like "Hey who are you looking for?" We told him, and he was like "Hey that's me. Come inside and talk." So we did. The spirit was SO strong. It was great talking to him, but really sad. He just wanted to talk about all of his positions in the church and how he got really offended once. We're going by later in the week, so we'll see what happens. He DID say "I've had so many people pass by in the last 7 years, and you guys are the first people I've let in." Pretty cool. 

Anyway. I'm tired of emailing so much. As you can see I'm just losing my mind. 

The church is true. It's perfect. 

Hermana Buhrley

No comments:

Post a Comment