Sunday, July 6, 2014

June 9, 2014

Hello, Family. 

Today my companion and I had a wonderful morning. A girl's day out, if you will. We had to travel to the heart of the capital to go to the doctor's, and while we were there we decided to stop off at Subway and frozen yogurt. There was indeed sunshine in our souls. A little slice of America. Even though she's not from America, haha. 

Yesterday I gave a talk in church. Dope.

Yesterday we had a member come give one of our investigator's a blessing because she's been sick. It was awesome. The spirit was so strong and she was so happy. We're going over to her house today to see how she's doing. :) 

Also, on the way over to her house, the member said that he had to give himself a blessing to the other night, and we were like "Uhhh...nooo." "Hermana, I wasn't going to call someone at 2 in the morning." Then he laughed like we didn't know what we were talking about, haha.

A few weeks ago we met a guy who was wearing garments in the street. He was just chillin'. So we started talking to him like he was a member, and he was like "What are you talking about? I've  never visited that church." "....where did you get your shirt?" "I got it at a garage sale. I have, like, 5 more." Then he jumped on a motor and sped off before we could say anything. SO. Yesterday we found out where he lived because he saw him again on the streets, and we're gonna go visit him tonight, haha. Fix things up. 

For the last few transfers, missionaries before us have been baptizing people and we honestly have no idea how. When my comp and I got to the area, we heard "La Venta is a baptizing area!" Little do those missionaries know, that ALL of the people they baptized went less active in three weeks. And its so frustrating because the converts don't know much about the church, and they don't fully comprehend the covenant that they made. Sometimes we feel like we're wasting our time because the recent converts/less actives don't put any work into obtaining a testimony. 

Its so LAAAAAME.

Also. There's this virus that's going around, and evidently, it's worse than Dengue. I don't know how to spell it, but it's called the choo-goo-goon-yah. "Everybody" has it. If you have a cough, you have it. If your shoulder hurts, you have it. If you're tired, you have it. No one wanted to listen to us this week because of this sickness...we literally heard about it ALL DAY LONG. And the worst part is, is that when someone tells you that they have it, you have to act sympathetic for them. I don't know if that's a good enough sign that I'm not going to be the best nurse, but I have zero sympathy. And. No one knows there this virus comes from. I've heard a bunch of things. You can get it from mosquitoes, the water, the smell of garbage on the streets. It's so ridiculous. As for now, we're all just anxiously waiting for the news to spread that this choo-goo-goon-yah doesn't actually exist. :)

My comp and I have been working SO HARD THIS WEEK with all of the members. This week is packed full with lessons with recent converts and members so that they can earn our trust, we can get to know their needs, they can get to know us, and they can hopefully help us out with the missionary work. The members here are so great; we've hit it off really well already! Things are looking for bright for the next 2 transfers. 

I'm almost hitting my last 2 transfers, by the way. So crazy.

Anyway, love you all and have a wonderful week!

Hermana Buhrley

No comments:

Post a Comment