I feel like this week went by way too fast. I made it to my three month marker! I got ice cream and it was DANK.
On Thursday it rained for six hours straight and it POURED. My companion and I were soaked the entire day. While we were walking around, people kept yelling at us to get dry or we´ll get sick and blah blahblah. But we thought we knew better. Guess what. I'm really sick! Yayyyy. Some ¨nice¨ Elder called the mission presidents wife because apparently i looked ¨awful¨. (thanks a lot) Now she calls every five minutes. She said that I have something that is new to the country. I've been sleeping a ton because I'm just tired and nauseous all the time. When I first got sick I slept for 23 hours straight and everyone thought I was dead. BUT I can tell that things are lightening up. I really want to get out there and work again. Anyway, I'm sure that if I die or something they'll probably let Mom know, maybe. A a cute old guy in the ward went to shake my hand and I hesitated and told him that I have the flu (everything is called the flu) and he said, ¨Oh, the flu. The only way you get rid of it is to pass it along¨, and he grabbed my hand and shook it, haha.
On Thursday it rained for six hours straight and it POURED. My companion and I were soaked the entire day. While we were walking around, people kept yelling at us to get dry or we´ll get sick and blah blahblah. But we thought we knew better. Guess what. I'm really sick! Yayyyy. Some ¨nice¨ Elder called the mission presidents wife because apparently i looked ¨awful¨. (thanks a lot) Now she calls every five minutes. She said that I have something that is new to the country. I've been sleeping a ton because I'm just tired and nauseous all the time. When I first got sick I slept for 23 hours straight and everyone thought I was dead. BUT I can tell that things are lightening up. I really want to get out there and work again. Anyway, I'm sure that if I die or something they'll probably let Mom know, maybe. A a cute old guy in the ward went to shake my hand and I hesitated and told him that I have the flu (everything is called the flu) and he said, ¨Oh, the flu. The only way you get rid of it is to pass it along¨, and he grabbed my hand and shook it, haha.
We didn't have water this week, so we put big barrels outside, let them fill with water, put filter tablets in and bucket showered. When it didn´t rain and the water wasn't on, we knelt down in prayer and asked for help. One of the Hermanas who gave the prayer said, ¨If it's according to Thy will.¨ That one simple phrase made me realize how selfish I had been with my prayers and hadn´t even acknowledged the Lord's will in them. It made me think of the quote given by Howard W. Hunter ¨If prayer is only a spasmodic cry at the time of crisis, then it is utterly selfish, and we come to think of God as a repairman or a service agency to help us only in our emergencies. We should remember the Most High day and night, always, not only at times when all other assistance has failed and we desperately need help.¨ Since we pray so much here I think the whole concept of prayer has gone over my head, even though we talk about the importance all the time. Praying is a commandment. And you're praying to your Father who knows all things, whose love of you is perfect. The opportunity we have to talk to Him shouldn´t be pushed aside.
We´ve been working a lot with teenagers who are either less-active or are investigators. Maybe it's because I was their age like YESTERDAY it feels like, but Iva been able to create a bond with them. I've learned that they hate to be talked at, but they like to talk. They aren´t going to go to church unless they have friends. We have this investigator named Altagracia. I love her. She is so sassy and has the cutest baby I've ever seen. We´ve been working with her for two months and she wants to get baptized, but she's not married....
I was reading in Doctrina y Convenios and really liked and noticed chapter 3, verse 8. (This is when you look it up because I don't want to type it out) It got me thinking about how when we come to the decision to choose good or evil, we need to choose the good because our Heavenly Father will give us more help than we will ever know, and it will all be worth it. I really enjoy reading the Book of Mormon. There are moments when I'd rather just sit all day and cross reference the heck out of everything.
I love this gospel so much. I love being here. I love it. I don't want to be anywhere else. I am so eternally grateful for this knowledge that the gospel brings. I know that the only way to win is to lose...to lose myself in the work. I know that if you let the Lord shape you and mold you, He will create of you a masterpiece. If you try to create something out of yourself on your own, you will only create an ordinary man. If you give your will to Him, He will create a God.
Some things I love about this country..The clouds, the sound of rain on a tin roof, music always playing, floods, during Relief Society whenever anyone walks in they say ¨Sorry I'm late! Good morning, everyone, good morning!¨, half-shirted fat men who hate the heat, their love for dominoes, bread, humidity, huge mangoes, the temple, and shirt dresses. There are girls here who wear shirts as dresses, so my companion and I always say ¨That girl is totes wearing a shirt dress.¨ Haha.
I love you ALL. Thank you for your prayers and love. Y´all are BOMBIN.
Some things I love about this country..The clouds, the sound of rain on a tin roof, music always playing, floods, during Relief Society whenever anyone walks in they say ¨Sorry I'm late! Good morning, everyone, good morning!¨, half-shirted fat men who hate the heat, their love for dominoes, bread, humidity, huge mangoes, the temple, and shirt dresses. There are girls here who wear shirts as dresses, so my companion and I always say ¨That girl is totes wearing a shirt dress.¨ Haha.
I love you ALL. Thank you for your prayers and love. Y´all are BOMBIN.
Con amor, Hermana Buhrley



No comments:
Post a Comment