Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 8, 2013

Hello, ALL. 
So in case anyone wants to know, I'm in a little internet place in the city and listening to gospel Christian music in the background with a Dominican yelling along. Haha, it's perfect. And in case anyone wants to know, I'm not dead. Yay! I felt better a few days later. I don't know what I had, but whatever it was, it's gone! 

On Monday, my companion and I got another companion for a few days. She grew up in California, went to BYU and just grew up knowing Spanish and English  I knew every word that she said in Spanish  All of my zone is Latin (except the few of us from Utah) and I understand everything that they say! Except the Dominicans sometimes. I still have trouble understanding what in the world they say sometimes, ESPECIALLY when they're drunk or crying. They are so animated, especially during fast and testimony meeting. During sacrament yesterday I kind of had to laugh at myself because I looked so out of place. People were ugly-face crying and being so passionate about feeling the Spirit and yelling out Amens and I was just sitting there front and center, one expression on my face. Haha I looked like such a noob. I love church here. I'm grateful that the Spirit doesn´t have a language barrier. 

On the fourth of July we had a BALLIN PARTY Y'ALL. We all got super cute in our red white and blue, and took a lot of cute pics. We made shishkabobs with potato chips, corn on the cob, mangoes and lemonade. And for dessert we had s'mores. Then later that night we sat outside and imagined fireworks. Haha, and we also sang the national anthem all day. We go all out on holidays which makes days so much fun! 

Sometimes I wake up and I kind of have a minifreak out in my head. I'm like ¨Oh my. I've heard the same stories over and over and over again. At the end of the night, someone´s either crying or talking about how BYU is the greatest school ever.¨ We have needed to find ways to release stress. Before my mission I would run or drive or laugh with my "fwends." Since I can't do ANY of those things, I've needed to find an alternative. Which is...pray. Haha. 

Funny story. My feet kill all the time, just becaue we walk all day. The first thing I'm going to do once I get home is get a pedi. Anyway, I was thinking about how my feet were sore while I was skimming and flipping through the bible, and I read Romans chapter 10 verse 15. Look it up! 

I love my companion. She and I have come a loooong way, but i just love her. We have had so much fun together. We learn so much from each other, and we laugh.. I've had to learn patience with myself, patience with the other Hermanas, my companions, God´s timing and with our investigators. Being impatient kills the Spirit quickly and brings harsh feelings. When we´re impatient we think we know better than others do, and in most cases in life, better than God does. We think our timetable is better than His. Patience and faith are tied well together. Whereas faith and patience are companions, so are selfishness and impatience. But aren´t we so lucky to have the atonement to help us overcome these feelings?

So I taped a picture of the family in my BOM so whenever people ask about my family, I can show them. I showed a member the other day because he asked how my family is doing, andI kid you not, he said that Zach looks like Zac Efron. I laughed SO hard. He said that Dad is a handsome guy, that Brynn has really pretty long hair and that I have a hot mom. Haha prime. The member´s wife asked if Brynn´s hair is natural and I told her yes and she about had a heart attack. 

I love this ward. They are SO fun. They are all a little crazy and I never know what to expect from them. At times I think about how weird I probably look. I definitely have a Dominican mindset at times. Like crossing the road (Mom). The traffic is INSANE and so fast, but people just walk without looking. I do it sometimes..I just go for it. But on the bright side, I have yet to see a car crash! Haha. There was also a lesson that we had, and a lady was buck naked with only a sheet on her. I asked her why and she said that she was sick. In my Dominican mindset, that made complete sense. ¨Oh, she´s sick and it's hot; having only a sheet on will help her.¨ Haha ay. Anyway, the other Hermanas and I are trying to get the less actives to come back to church and strengthen the ward, so once we leave they will still want to go.

It's a silly thought, thinking about leaving. This place has become my home. I love it. I love this gospel. I know with all of my heart that it's true. I'ts why I'm here. I know that even though I may not know everything, that one day I will. And that perfection comes in the next life. I know that our Heavenly Father desires to communicate with us through sincere prayer. I'm grateful that the Holy Ghost is the perfect teacher, and that He connects with us soul to soul, stronger than words will ever be. I am grateful for the Atonement and for our brother, Jesus Christ. I have not seen Him for 19 years, yet I know He lives. I love you all very much, and thank you for all of your prayers! I feel spoiled. Have a wonderful week! 

Con amor, Hermana Buhrley

P.S. Tell Zach to watch ¨Lord, I believe¨ and ¨The 1st Great Commandment¨, both talks by Jeffrey R Holland. Tell him that Ill ask him how they went next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment