Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 16, 2013

FAMILY. 

Oh family. Oh mission. This week was so long. So much happened and it was so emotionally draining. I don't even know where to start. Oh Tuesday it started raining a TON so we took shelter underneath a pavilion and were stuck there for two hours. We finally decided to go home because the streets were flooding. So we said a quick prayer then practically swam home. It was honestly fun even though my companion was freaking out the whole time. The hurricane came and went and we were stuck in the house for practically three days. I kind of sort of wanted to die. The house is small in itself and I felt like it just got smaller. So those days were AWESOME. I tried to stay positive the entire time but I wanted out. I just kept singing ¨Good Day¨by the Nappy Roots over and over again in my head. Ha, good song.

We got a ward mission leader! I don't know if I told you guys that. He is so  funny, but doesn´t know that he´s funny. He´s very passionate about his calling, so he follows us around all day long. ALL DAY. We´ll be in a lesson and he´ll show up randomly and say ¨So my wife says that you can come over later..¨ ¨...ok? Hermano Lara, you can call us.¨ Or we won't tell him where we´re going and he´ll ask everyone around town where we are and he´ll show up. Or he´ll call little 17 year old chums to walk us home when it's dark. I'm really grateful that he loves his calling though. He really is a great guy. 

The people here get their shirts from stores like the DI so they´ll be wearing shirts in English but don't have any idea of what it says or reads. Like the other day I told this kid that I was from Utah because his shirt said something about the University of Utah, and he didn´t have any idea of what I was talking about. There are a lot of funny shirts. Some of my favs are ¨I heart NCSU´s Dance Team,¨¨The more I drink the better you look,¨Ï kissed a leprechaun and I liked it,¨¨Jesus of Die¨¨Don't hate me,¨¨You should put a ring on it,¨ Haha classic. 

I came across Alma 26 (If i could find a colon on this Dominican keyboard I would type it) verses 5 through 7. Elder Maxwell and subsequently Elder Bednar stated that the sheaves mentioned in this passage are converts and the garners are the temple. The church did a study and found that recent converts who entered the temple to do baptisms within the first two months of their own baptisms had nearly a one hundred percent retention rate. This passage explains why. The temple protects them from the storms of life as they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest. Man, I love the scriptures. 

Can I just say that I miss music a lot? Like...a lot. And carpet. I haven´t seen carpet since I got here. Just tile and dirt. Okay enough of that. 

Everyone always says ¨faith without action is nothing¨ Which is true. But it also works for the contrary ¨action without faith is nothing.¨ This church is all about faith. Without faith no other principle works. Nothing else meets it full potential, and there are somethings that you just have to rely on faith.
I know that this is the Lord's work. I know that there are a lot of things we do wrong in life, but there are also a lot of things that we do right. I know that the rough times can become the most sacred if we let them. I know that the Lord takes in account of our desires, but in the end His way is higher than ours. I can testify that doing His will can feel unnatural at first but will never be regretted. I love you all so much. Thanks for all of your sweet emails and letters! I feel very loved. Until next week. (I'm hoping that this next week goes by a lot faster than lasts...just saying)

Con amor, Hermana Buhrley

No comments:

Post a Comment